Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bien Venido!

So, the place I am staying in Santiago is about 200 square feet and everything is miniature...the fridge, the toilet, the stove. But thankfully, the bed is of normal size and I slept like a rock my first night here. In fact, I awakened when Shannon got up to go to work and then drifted off again till noonish. I pulled myself out of bed and went out on the balcony. The apartamento is tiny but the view is huge.





This is the view from Shannon's balcony. It looks out to San Cristobal which we are going to hike up tomorrow. You can see the pollution which gets worse as the day goes on. This city is surrounded by the Andes but I'll be damned if I could actually see them. Faintly, I think I could make out the silhouette of the range. I quickly put on my suit and headed up to the rooftop pool and veranda to get my sun on. It was gorgeous up there and I slathered myself with sunscreen and sat by the pool and red my book until Shannon got back.



While we walked around the "drugstore" neighborhood this afternoon I was trying too size up Chilean style. The men seem far better dressed than the women and the women were all sporting the same hairdo which Shannon calls the "Chilean" which if you imagine a cross between the "Rachel" and a mullet, that pretty much sums it up. My packing seemed to be inappropriate for the weather of course and I brought no flip flops to wear in the 80+ degree heat. Bummed. I went to Falabella to pick some up and came across an interesting display.




In America, we stuff our bras. In South America, the ladies stuff their booties. In fact, if any of my girlfriends with flat, bony booties back home want me to bring you something back from SA that will give you hours of entertainment and male attention...give me a shout out. I can hook you up with a pair of these. These anacondas don't want none unless you got buns hon.



Tomorrow after we hike San Cristobal we will be going to a "despedida" which is a going away party for one of the gringas that lives in Shannon's building and has been living here for the last 7 months. Next "webisode" people.

No comments: